Monday, June 28, 2010

So long set point!

I have struggled with staying healthy and maintaining a healthy weight for a long time..well forever I guess! And have had a very volatile relationship with food. Over the past several months though (at the end of a LONG weightloss journey that started with me being very overweight), I have been at a healthy weight that made me happy, and a set point that my body maintained even through fluctuations in exercise and eating habits (although I definitely had to up the exercise sometimes to make up for extended periods that I declared "special occasions" and "free days" hehe).

In that time I even trained for and completed 2 half marathons and a marathon, and maintained my set point (between 148-152...kind of a wide range bc I take exessive time off btwn my spurts of heavy exercise, and take full advantage of holidays...I really enjoy food, and don't always enjoy hardcore workouts!)

That being said, in my experience exercise and old fashioned healthy eating can help you get healthy over time, and after a while, will help you maintain a set point (a weight where your body gets comfortable and kind of camps out, even when you are still working hard). HOWEVER, I am thinking that if you want to see progress when your body is camped out at a set point, you might have to do something intense to get you going! So basically, I am happy that by the charts I am at a "healthy weight" but I am pretty excited to see what the posibilities could be! The idea that I could be a healthy person that people would also see as "fit" and "thin", kinda blows my mind! But if Medifast could get me there, why not see! (and so far, I'm feeling that it CAN! whoo!!!)

We all have different body image, and health goals. Lots that we've discarded as unrealistic and unattainable, but you never know until you try. So I'm taking my out of the trash bin and going for it!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I am so excited to get mine and get started! It is good to read your experience of how things are going so that I have some what of an idea of what I have to look forward too! Keep blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete